Every parent at one time or another will be wondering what children learn at a licensed daycare or preschool. It is often difficult for parents to make a decision about choosing the right care for their young child. When I meet prospective parents, I always get this question – What will they learn here? Here’s the top five things that kids will learn at a licensed daycare or preschool. It’s probably not what you think.
1) Children will learn to build trust in the world and the people in it: any good daycare or preschool will have warm and inviting staff that are specially trained to meet your child’s need to develop trust in the world and the people in it. In order to build this trust, staff need to be consistently responsive to children’s needs, cheerful and happy to see the children each day.
2) Children will learn to feel confident in themselves and their abilities: each child is an individual and should be treated as such. Children are allowed to accomplish each task they face throughout their day at their own rate and leave at the end of the day with a feeling of satisfaction in themselves and confident about their abilities.
3) Children learn independence and self-reliance: the physical set-up of the daycare or preschool environment meets each child’s need to become independent and self-reliant by allowing free choice of play materials, and with the exception of routines, free use of these materials (within limits). The children are encouraged to be self-reliant in routines such as dressing, toileting, washing, eating and tidying up their playthings. An adult is available for assistance when needed, but the child is made to feel responsible for the job at hand.
4) Children grow in their language and cognitive skills: The programs are designed to enhance language and cognition through the use of various educational tools and materials including books, puzzles, toys, games, music and other manipulative materials.
5) Children will feel a sense of belonging in a social environment: a quality daycare or preschool will foster an environment where each child is given individual attention during the day and special attention should he or she need it. Each smaller group within the class is comprised of children the same age, plus those a little younger or a little older but developmentally at the same stage. All children should feel comfortable and valued.
Licensed daycare and preschool programs are regulated by the Ministry of Education and Region of Peel. A licensed centre has to meet or exceed government regulations when it comes to the safety of your child so you can be sure that your child is in a safe environment.
Overall, enrolling your child in the right daycare or preschool is an instrumental part of their growth and development. It will provide the space where they have some of their first social interactions, make some of their first friends, and learn some skills that will help them through the rest of their lives.
If you are located in the Mississauga area, enrolling your child in a preschool like Alpha’s Preschool Academy and Child Care Centre is a fantastic option for parents who are looking for a quality preschool at an affordable price. Located in the heart of Meadowvale Mississauga, this daycare and preschool is dedicated to providing children 12 months to 5 years with a quality program that helps the child to learn and grow.
You can learn more about Alpha’s Preschool Academy curriculum and programs at: https://www.alphasdiscoveryclub.com/childcare/philosophy/